Recent and Upcoming
- December. Application Pending
opened at the
Unicorn Theatre, and the Kansas City critics are calling it a "master
class." Catch the show during its three-week run!
- November. The Unicorn Theatre is gearing up for the
regional premiere of Application Pending.
Read all about it in the
Kansas City Star.
had its school premiere at the comprehensively titled North
Carolina Theater Conference High School Play Festival.
- September. Ben Green and I conclude our musical theatre
fellowship at the Dramatists Guild by presenting an excerpt from our latest
check it out.
- August. Belters, be warned: "Game On" from
Evelyn Shaffer and the Chance of a Lifetime is
featured in the
Directory of Contemporary Musical Theatre.
Application Pending and
Craving for Travel are now in print! Or if you want to perform them, heck,
do that too.
- June. Miami ho! I spoke at City Theatre's CityWrights 2016
Production and Process and
- June. "Plucky and flat-out adorable!," or so claims the
Miami Herald. Evelyn Shaffer and the Chance of a
Lifetime is now running at the City Theatre's Summer Shorts Festival.
- May. Evelyn
Shaffer and the Chance of a Lifetime won the 2016 City
Theatre National Award for Short Playwriting, and
Episcus and Edendus was a
- April. The
Unicorn Theatre of
Kansas City, MO is producing Application
Pending this December. Incidentally, I know the perfect Christmas gift for
your Missouri loved ones.
- April. Beaches be darned! This June,
City Theatre is producing
Evelyn Shaffer and the Chance of a Lifetime as part of
their Summer Shorts Festival.
- March. Evelyn Shaffer and the
Chance of a Lifetime is now
published and licensed by Samuel French.
- March. A new subcontinent, a new travelogue! Check out
Czech Your Pillage: Central Europe under Siege.
- February. Neurosis will be
presented by Chicago's Fwd Theatre Project
on Monday, February 29. We can't wait to bring our bicoastal neuroses to the
- February. Neurosis
is ready to launch! We're part of the
LaunchingFWD concert in Chicago on Monday, February 8.
It's at a winery, so expect serious class.
Craving for Travel
is being presented by the Town Theatre Of Short Tract on
February 5-6. Should you shuffle near to Buffalo, NY, check
- December. For the Dramatists Guild Fellows Program, I'm
featured in this month's
Meet the Fellows. So start getting to know me, getting to know all about me.
- December. Neurosis will be
part of the Fwd Theatre Project's
2016 season. If you're into musical comedy (or extreme cold), check us out in
February in Chicago!
- December. See
The Almost In-Laws at
Grace Church's Winter Music Festival, and by so doing,
support the Long Island Alzheimer's Foundation. We're into
- November. Some songs from
Evelyn Shaffer are featured in
MuSE's Moments in Life
cabaret on November 21. Get your
- October. Avidly published my
piece on pro wrestling! Come explore the world of very large men in very
Application Pending and
Travel are now licensed by
Accordingly, they can drive without a permit.
- September. For he's a jolly good
Dramatists Guild Musical Theatre Fellow! Ben Green and I
are Fellows in this year's program.
- August. Huzzah,
Evelyn Shaffer and the
Chance of a Lifetime won the
Samuel French OOB Festival! We're getting published and licensed by Samuel
- August. The
Almost In-Laws, a
ten-minute musical about parents who aren't quite human, is
this month's episode of the
Take a Ten Musicals podcast. Take a (lis)ten!
- August. Evelyn Shaffer and the
Chance of a Lifetime will perform at the
Samuel French OOB Festival on Wednesday, August 5 at 6:30 pm. Get tickets
- July. A
new ten-minute musical that
Andy Roninson and I wrote will be part of the
Manhattan Musical Theatre Lab
on July 23. It's a tale of elves.
won the 2015 Broadway World Award for Best Off-Broadway Play and was nominated
for the 2015 Drama Desk for Outstanding Solo Show.
- May. Evelyn Shaffer and the
Chance of a Lifetime was selected for the
Samuel French OOB Festival. This August, check us out in an East
Village near you.
- April. Ben Green and I wrote the
over-the-credits song for the latest episode of
Redheads Anonymous. Whatever your hair color,
check it out!
- April. Huzzah,
completed its twelve-week run! Thanks to the whole team and our amazing
- March. Ooh, check out
New York Times! Their fancy media folks filmed us for an
"In Performance" segment.
is open, and the reviews are out!
The New York Times writes "Remarkable! Must we trot out
the phrase ‘tour de force’? Yes, we must." And
Time Out New York calls us "a deliciously twisted solo
vehicle.” (We're also on the
- January. What's in the Daily News? I'll tell you what's in
the Daily News. A
feature story on
- January. No really, I'm Sirius! The
team appeared on
Dot Complicated with Randi
- January. Ooh, McSweeney's published my
Honest Letter from Your I.T. Department. Learn the devastating secrets
Application Pending, a grown-up comedy about kindergarten admissions, has started rehearsals! Buy before January 26, and you can get
- December. I went to Cambodia! I
survived! Check out my
- December. "Here," which I wrote with
Meinwald, is featured in the Broadway's Future Songbook
Series at Lincoln Center. And
is premiering Off-Broadway in January 2015 with the
Christina Bianco! Now, put that in your personal
Craving for Travel
is going up in Cancun! (Don't tell the Zetas.)
- November. I lyric'd the opening number
Bloglogues: A Land Before Timelines. It celebrates
all things 90s, and when our powers combine, so should you.
- November. "Game On" from
Evelyn Shaffer and the Chance of a Lifetime
is featured in a concert held by
MuSE. It's 3/4 capitalized and 4/4 awesome.
- October. For
at 54 Below, Paul Libman and I wrote a gentle and socially
conscious piece. About Ebola. (Watch it
- September. I contributed some material
to Bloglogues for a corporate presentation. Oh, how I hope
the audience is travel
- September. Evelyn Shaffer and the Chance of a Lifetime, a ten-minute musical I wrote with Andy Roninson, is featured on the Take a Ten podcast.
Have a listen!
- August. Avidly, the Los Angeles Review of Books' blog, published
my essay on Disneyland Paris. Le cheque it out!
- July. Andy and I received a Puffin Grant for
Application Pending. Just don't tell the Puffin Foundation I ate their namesake in
- February. Craving for Travel
completed its Off Broadway run. Thank to our cast, crew, and
creative team for such an awesome journey!
- January. Neurosis is worth its SALT! We won the
Syracuse Area Live Theater Award for Best Original New
- January. Ack, so much Sweden!
"Our Little Swedish Home" is
one of twelve finalists in the
Davenport Songwriting Contest.
Pay a visit, and vote for us.
"Our Little Swedish Home" is
also featured at the
VOW: Made-to-Measure Musical Theatre Workshop.
See the musical stars of tomorrow sing about Swedes.
"Our Little Swedish Home" is featured this month in the
Directory of Contemporary Musical Theatre Writers. Have a
- January. Craving for Travel has
opened Off Broadway! We're playing through February 9, so
buy your ticket fast before we start charging you for carry-ons.
- December. Craving for Travel
has started rehearsals! We're playing Off Broadway from January 9 through February 9, so
buy some tickets!
- December. Party like it's 2007! "A Zookeeper's Lament"
was featured in New York Theater Barn's cabaret of first-year BMI assignments.
- December. Iceland is cold. So read
this travelogue before you die of hypothermia.
- December. Urban Stages is presenting
Neurosis in concert on
December 4 at 7 pm! Get your tickets
- November. Just in time for admissions
Pending has industry readings November 11-12 with the
- November. T.S. Eliot, be darned!
A "Cats" medley that I relyric'd is featured in the latest
- October. Mysophobiacs rejoice!
Neurosis has industry
readings on October 24-25 with a
"Make Him Mine" is included in
Songs for Hope. Consistent with their theme, I hope you
- August. What happens in Vegas opens
Off-Broadway this January. To promote
for Travel, Andy and I attended Virtuoso Travel Week at
the Bellagio in Las Vegas.
"Our Little Swedish Home" will be featured at
this cabaret at the Dramatists Guild's National
- August. Woot!
Neurosis has extended until
Get your tickets!
- July. Neurosis has received raves
Syracuse New Times, and
Auburn Citizen. And
we're on TV. And we have a
get thee to the show!
Neurosis is running at the Finger Lakes Musical Theatre Festival from July 18 to August 10! Check out our commerical, and more importantly,
come see us!
- June. Rehearsals are starting for
Neurosis! Get thee to the
Finger Lakes Musical Theatre Festival.
- June. Taking the
Plunge is in the
Davenport Ten Minute Play Contest! Come and stuff the
- June. A song I lyric'd is in
Blogologues Greatest Hits, performed on June 1st and 8th
at NYC's The PIT. Check it out!
- May. Sun, sand, and dramaturgy. Andy and I are
being shipped to Turks and Caicos to work on
- May. A rewrite in time saves nine. We have
a final reading of
Neurosis before rehearsals
start next month.
- April. Be a good Guinnessport. Ron and I
tried out some songs from our new show, Record Breaker,
- March. Feeling peripatetic? We had our first
reading of Craving
- March. This summer's production of
Neurosis is (mostly) cast,
and we couldn't be more excited/neurotic!
- February. What's new, Argentina?
These essays. Read them, or Patti LuPone will yell at
- January. Party on, Blogologues. I relyric'd
"Bohemian Rhapsody" for
Blogologues Health & Fitness: Kale Me Softly, playing
January 17-26 at Under St. Marks.
- January. "Meant to Be," by me and the
newly-Californian Ron Barnett, is featured in the
Directory of Contemporary Musical Theatre Writers.
Think yellow pages, but awesomer.
- December. It's kindergarten, my dear
Watson. Andy Sandberg and I had a reading of our play
Application Pending starring the incomparable Nicole
Parker (Wicked, MadTV).
- December. There's no cure like travel.
Andy Sandberg and I were commissioned to write Craving
for Travel, a play about the travel industry and those
who make it tick.
- November. Playbill announces
No More Revivals, Vol. 1 (Sh-K-Boom Records). More
pressingly, Ron Barnett and I have a song on it.
- November. Wilkommen, deja vu! Ron Barnett
and I were finalists for the Fred Ebb Award for Musical
- November. Holy misnomers!
Neurosis: The Musical will
be at Musical Mondays on Thursday, November 8. Come
witness our awesomeness.
- October. Veep debate, schmeep debate.
On Thursday, October 11, check out
Neurosis: The Musical at
BMI and Musical Monday's
- September. Hollywood, here I semi-come!
I was a semifinalist for the Nickelodeon Writing Program
(top 12 scripts) and the Warner Brothers Writing Workshop
- August. Get neurotic! The
Finger Lakes Musical
Theatre Festival has announced
Neurosis: The Musical for
their 2013 season!
- August. I posted an essay on
Turkish bathing. Turns out it's a lot like
- August. A song I relyric'd opens Lively
Blogologues Technoganza. Attend, drink, and be
- July. You Can't Treat a Girl Like That" (from
Space: The Musical) was featured at 54 Below.
Check out the
- June. I received one of the 13th Annual BMI
Foundation Jerry Harrington Awards for Creative Excellence.
Triskaidekaphobia, be damned! Press release, be
- June. Neurosis: The
Musical, with book by
Allan Rice, music by Ben Green, and lyrics by me, is in the
Finger Lakes Musical Theatre Festival. They say write
what you know.
- May. "Won't You Be Mine," with music by the
Meinwald, is in
Presents the Music of Julia Meinwald on May 22nd at 9:30
pm at the Duplex. Go!
- April. Ooh, I'm a semi-finalist for
SPACE on Ryder
Farms. With luck, I can combine lyric writing and cow
- April. "When I Find a Jewish Boy," by Ben Green
and me, is in the BMI Smoker on April 24 at 5:30 pm at the
BMI offices. And look at
the press (and
yet more press).
- March. Zak and I have some more songs in
Our Time II, only
one of which describes my greatest nightmare. Check it out
Monday, March 12 at 9:30 pm at the Duplex.
- December. Zak and I have a song in
produced by Musically Human and not yet sued by Stephen
Sondheim. Check it out on December 5 at 9:30 pm at the
- November. Say your prayers; it's the first
reading of The God Show.
- November. He can sing, too? Zak Sandler
performs some of our songs at the
- September. Zak Sandler and I let the horse
out of the New York Theatre Barn. Check us out
D-Lounge on Monday, September 26 at 7:30 pm.
- September. Another
Blogologues, another song! This time Amanda and I
write about religion. Fatwas may ensue.
- September. Amanda and I wrote a song for Lively Productions'
Blogologues: I Need a Vocation. So blogoattend on
Saturday, September 10 at 10:30 pm and midnight.
- August. A new essay, courtesy of Cirque du
Publicists? Where We're Going, We Don't Need Publicists.
- July. Exeunt Magazine calls Taking the
Plunge "completely saturated with joy and delight." Read
- July. 1930s hookers ahoy!
The Temptation of Lady
Amsterdam is tempting the Prospect Musical Theatre Lab
from July 27 to 31.
Get your tickets!
- July. Courtesy of Uptime Studios, Ron and I
now have fancypants recordings of
"Another Day in Rome." Check them out!
- July. Leaping Londoners! Taking the
Plunge is in the finals at the Samuel French OOB
Festival on Saturday, July 24 at 2:30 pm.
Get your tickets!
- July. Suicide tourists ahoy! Taking the
Plunge is crash landing at the Samuel French OOB
Festival on Saturday, July 23 at 4:30 pm.
Get your tickets!
- June. Amanda and I are interviewed on the
Samuel French website. Never have I been this
excited about anything French.
- June. Jonathan and I are part of the
musical theater lab. Stay tuned as we write a
ten-minute show in three weeks or, more realistically, the
weekend before the deadline.
My Trip (at) Home is a part of Lively Productions'
Blogologues: Sex, Drugs, and Interwebs. Check it out the
weekend of May 13-14!
- May. Taking the
Plunge was accepted into the
Samuel French Off Off
Broadway Festival, proving that suicide is a viable
solution to one's problems.
- April. April showers bring May flowers and a new essay:
- April. More tracks from
are posted. Check out
"Out of Your Sight" and
"Love Me for Me".
- March. The Rivals
was a finalist for the Yale Institute for Music Theatre. To
think, someday it may have a second act!
Denmark, Part 2: A Capital Pursuit is posted. Read it
quick, before the Swedish attack you.
- January. The recording of
Taking the Plunge is now
available. Never has suicide been so toe-tapping.
- December. I've been commissioned to write
a full length play, Old Lady Fun, for
Productions. Being commissioned is like being drafted,
with a higher likelihood of death.
- December. A song I wrote with the lovely
Julia Meinwald was part of
Eric and Julia's Free Dessert Show at Park Lounge. The
venue was far cooler than I.
- December. "A Survey of World History," by
Zak Sandler and me, was featured in Sing Out Loud!,
performed at Temple University by hyperkinetic theatre
- November. Lively Productions produced a
reading of the first
act of The Rivals. The second
act is still hiding somewhere in my amygdala.
- November. I ran the ING New York City
Marathon. I didn't die, but I did
write an essay.
A Crowded House was
produced by the State Theatre of Chicago. Virginia Woolf
plus Chicago in winter: how could this not be cheery?
- October. Ron Barnett and I won second place in the
Fred Ebb Award for Musical Theatre Songwriting for our songs from The
Princess Bride. This is almost as touching as
William Goldman's cease-and-desist letter.
- October. I'm a finalist for the Fred
Ebb Award for Musical Theatre Songwriting. Upon learning
this, I sobbed into a poster of Elaine Stritch.
- September. Taking the Plunge was produced by 8Minute Musicals
for the New York Musical Theatre Festival. It's a tale
of two people, one Big Ben, and mass suicide.
- September. Part one of the
Denmark travelogue is complete! For the love of
jumbosnegl, read it now.
Relations is a semifinalist in the Riant Theatre's
Strawberry One Act Festival.
The Discontented Grasshopper was featured in the
Center Theatre's First 3rd Annual U.S.-ification
of America Conference. Take that, pacifist cicadas!
Lest she acknowledge that drugging one’s child might reflect poorly on one’s stepmothering skills, she decided to blame me for the situation.
~ My Trip (at) Home